School Bus Manufacturers Technical Council
The School Bus Manufacturers Technical Council (SBMTC), an organization within the National Association of State Directors of Pupil Transportation Services, was established in 1995 as a subsidiary of the NASDPTS Supplier Council.
SBMTC operates and functions as the industry's technical advisor. The school transportation industry requires a method of technical communication, and SBMTC is the tool to accomplish this purpose. The council provides a forum in which council members can address technical and government-related issues concerning the manufacture and acceptability of school bus chassis and school bus bodies.
Goals and Objectives
The goals and objectives for which SBMTC is organized are:
- Encourage and promote safety in the design of school buses.
- Assist the National Association of State Directors of Pupil Transportation Services through communication of design trends, historical data, and other information pertaining to the pupil transportation industry.
- Communicate to member companies actions by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and other governmental agencies as they affect the school bus industry.
- Keep open communications between school bus chassis and bus body manufacturers on technical issues.
- Develop and issue appropriate Position Papers.
- Assist the National Conference on School Transportation.
- Work jointly with other associations and societies to assist in the achievement of SBMTC goals and objectives.